How can we make Ghost better?

Auto Updates

1 click updates to Ghost from the admin.

816 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Scott SmithScott Smith shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Susan SonsSusan Sons commented  · 

+1 for update from CLI in one step
        -100 for update from the web interface

As an information security professional, I spend an insane amount of time and effort cleaning up after CMSes that are set up with the web server able to rewrite their code. It's simply bad practice which opens up a huge and commonly-exploited attack surface. Don't do it.

If you can't handle a CLI update mechanism (which has all the protections of the OS and SSH), you need to be using a hosted service.

• PaszaVonPomiotPaszaVonPomiot commented  · 

so far in ghost beta you can do update with one-liner from CLI - 'ghost update'

• Martyn T. KeigherMartyn T. Keigher commented  · 

I'm sure that this concept has already been discussed, so apologies for the repetition if so.

I use Sonarr for my TV shows and that program has 3 options (in a dropdown) for 'automatic updates' in the Admin GUI. 1) None. 2) master-branch. 3) develop-branch. (The default being No. 2)

I spent some time on the develop branch and (needless to say...) it was usually unstable. When I opted for the master-branch, I received updates approx 2x a month and it was all automated and it's still rock solid.

Maybe that similar approach to how you do you updates would be a good idea, as this caters to all peoples needs. - Thanks.

• Faber73Faber73 commented  · 

Interesting if you going to manage an update script that search every line and modify it. No intere files replacement.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I do not like Auto-Updates.

If I include a modified ghost blog as a part of a website for someone else, I then always have to worry that the auto-updates does not destroy my theme or ( in the future ) Plugins.

In addition I agree with Conrad Kleinespel - the Ghost development needs money.

• Nathan GrahamNathan Graham commented  · 

This would be excellent. Conrad, Automattic, as one example, gets by just fine and they have a dead simple one click update and automated background security patches. Much easier for WordPress though for the reason John described.

• Mitchell SimoensMitchell Simoens commented  · 

Updating Ghost isn't really a pain, you can do a few commands and you're done. Updating themes can be a headache but just document changes that you make to the theme (like if you edit casper).

I also do not think this would take away from the hosted ghost service. The line between profits via the hosted ghost service and what is good for the platform as a whole can be fuzzy.

• Conrad KleinespelConrad Kleinespel commented  · 

I suppose that would make the hosted Ghost.org service much less interesting though, which would mean less funding for Ghost. I mainly use Ghost.org as a service before I don't have to upgrade stuff.

• asdasdasdasd commented  · 

Awesome idea. Updating is a realy pain with self-hosted versions of Ghost

Feedback and Knowledge Base