How can we make Ghost better?

Article templates

It would be nice to be able to choose from a template when writing a new post, and allow to edit these templates.

173 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    fabienwangfabienwang shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Vergel EvansVergel Evans commented  · 

I was thinking that if we had a CLASS-TYPE for posts we could then modify the display of the template based on the class. And that class type doesn't have to be exposed in the the tag collection, it can be its own thing.

I've been currently using this on my build to test the idea. My thoughts are there would be an interface where ppl could create their class of posts. Some defaults would be:
        - post (default)
        - article
        - instructions
        etc. etc...

Then when someone creates a new post, they could use the Settings flyout to adjust the post Type to match the type.

And on the hbs page they could use something like {{post-class}} to control the CSS.
        <div class="{{post-class}}">

... or well that's how I've been somewhat trying to build it out on my install.

• Daniel StantonDaniel Stanton commented  · 

As in separate HTML/CSS, or a markup template?

• Karl Oscar WeberKarl Oscar Weber commented  · 

Right now this can be emulated by changing the css of a post based on the tag of the post. For example each tag is posted into the body tag as a class: tag-tagname.

I also think it would be a bad idea to be able to edit post templates through the admin interface. This would break the separation of Data and Style.

• Emilio Del TessandoroEmilio Del Tessandoro commented  · 

It would be nice to customize the theme for different sections of the website. And allow customization of individual pages or tags.

At the moment this can be emulated by hardocoding the tag names into a single theme, but it would be much more elegant, clean and user friendly to make it editable from the settings page.

Feedback and Knowledge Base