How can we make Ghost better?

Comments

Support comments (really the most basic blogging feature that's still missing).

425 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Lukas Daniel KlausnerLukas Daniel Klausner shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    John O'NolanAdminJohn O'Nolan (Founder, Ghost) responded  · 

At present we have no plans to add native commenting to Ghost. There are tons of options out there from Disqus, Livefyre, Facebook, Google Plus and IntenseDebate to name just a few. All of them have already built very comprehensive products which are used by most of the biggest sites in the world.

Definitely still interested in hearing comments about any other use-cases, though!

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ChrisChris commented  · 

I'm not a fan of Disqus or a lot of the other third-party options either (for many of the reasons already mentioned). I'm sure it's a lot more work than I realise, but I'd love to see a simple, clean commenting system built in to Ghost, for those who want it.

• Meyer ZinnMeyer Zinn commented  · 

This is needed to support a fluid UI and publishing experience (IMHO).

• AlbertAlbert commented  · 

I really think comments should be supported from within Ghost itself because of a variety of reasons.

First of all, my blog is in the investing niche. People in that niche don't want to post under their real names. Everyone uses screennames/nicknames to leave comments. This completely makes Facebook comments and Google comments useless, as they only allow you to post comments under your own name. There's quite a few niches out there that people want to remain anonymous in.

Now, you might say 'use Disquss', but I personally (and a lot of other people as well) just don't like Disquss. It's way to bloated. I just want a simple commenting system without any bloat.

Secondly I would like to make an argument for 'owning' the comments. I'm not comfortobale with content of my site (in this case comments) to be stored on some third party service. What if they close it down? what if they decide they don't want to support my blog? What if their company goes bankrupt? I just want my comments to be stored on my own website, without having to rely on some other company.

Comments are a primary feature of every blog, so in my opinion it's kind of strange that a blogging cms doesn't have this built in.

If I buy a car, I expect it to have tires. If I buy a smartphone, I expect to find a charge cable in the box. If I buy a blogging service, I exptect it to have comments ;).

• Massimo GentiliniMassimo Gentilini commented  · 

I've added Disqus in about 15 minutes, from start to end and including the setup of Disqus account. So I agree, no need for this.

• AlexAlex commented  · 

Not supporting native comments is fair enough, but a blog with 1 million users should not need to be hacked with an editor to inject a simple JS snippet enabling comments. I.e. to enable Disqus - which John himself uses... see his Moving to Singapore article.

If John does this... then is it really an edge case?

https://github.com/TryGhost/Ghost/issues/6669#event-611174589

• Anonymous commented  · 

I have a very specific use-case for my blog. Comments moderation / analytics. We are in the big data year and each piece of information should be analyzed. Actually, I forked ghost and I will try to make some sort of implementation, seriously I will invest all time I can doing this, because I really need: 1. Only users of my site commenting and 2. Get comment usage statistics.

• Xin XuXin Xu commented  · 

I don't expecting local commenting for Ghost, but how about have a convenience way to adding 3rd-party commenting?

It's really annoying to download and modify theme every time when there's new update, especially for Pro users.

• Tim AppleTim Apple commented  · 

I really think local commenting is needed. If I am hosting my own blog, I would like control of comments locally.

• Beau NouvelleBeau Nouvelle commented  · 

I'm against support for comments. Like already mentioned, it can be added as an app, plus there are plenty of alternatives you can plug in into your blog anyway.

• MaX FalsteinMaX Falstein commented  · 

Comments sections need to be configurable, in settings panel, for enabling on each and every article.

Some articles may not be appropriate to have comments. Some admins may be experiencing hate messaging - simply disabling the comments will solve this pretty quickly.

• Justin StahlmanJustin Stahlman commented  · 

Medium-style contextual comments. I realize this would be difficult. Medium described it as a huge challenge, but it makes comments pertinent to have them right next to the particular paragraph or phrase.

• Nancy KamuzoraNancy Kamuzora commented  · 

I actually prefer Disqus for my readers. I hate it when I want to post a comment and I have to give my email, my mothers name and how many dogs I own. Unless the supported comments have the same feature as Disqus(a couple of clicks and you're in) I'm good. Plus there's the advantage of keeping the blog light

• Guillaume LakanoGuillaume Lakano commented  · 

YES ! :)
        I can only put 3 votes max... but if I could I'll set 10 votes..

Disqus / FaceBook / Google are external services, and I don't want they spy our visitors. For information, when you show the FaceBook "Like" button on a website, then FaceBook known you have visited this page, even if you don't click on the "Like" button ( because of a script loaded on FaceBook servers ).

And it's better to keep all comments in DB, as all content of the blog...

• Stefan KrauthStefan Krauth commented  · 

@Soroush Pour: The ghost blog can totally be static. Disqus is loaded via pure javascript and the load goes to the Disqus server. This is actually what I really, really like about Disqus. The blog can stay clean and does not need to handle spam and all the crap that comes with a comment system. The other beauty is, that disquss comments can be taken over to another blog system as long as the permlink stays intact. No migration effort etc. discuss should offer a few options to theme the comment widget - but otherwise I think this is a cool solution for a fast blog (disqus also loads async)

• Gábor BitterGábor Bitter commented  · 

We need comments! Disqus is ugly as fuc...k.

• Soroush PourSoroush Pour commented  · 

Disqus fulfills this role solidly on my Ghost blog. The one issue here is that this would mean Ghost could never be scalability optimized by going static, which as far as I can tell, could happen right now on blog post pages.

• John SmithJohn Smith commented  · 

@Bálint
        Why as an app? It's core functionality of any blog.

• Bálint AntalBálint Antal commented  · 

I think this should be available az an App.

I'd better like theme-settings like Tumblr does. There we could set eg. Discuss ID if it is supported.

Feedback and Knowledge Base