How can we make Ghost better?

Media Management - Ability to manage images/media uploaded to blog

Often times an image will go through several versions before the post is published. This results in two issues.

a] The images remain on the server - which might be a security/copyright issue
b] "Final" images end up with weird names - when I'd prefer to use the original name

So the feature I'd be really excited/happy/ecstatic/glad about would be a media manager interface.

505 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ian BradburyIan Bradbury shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • CarstenCarsten commented  · 

I would also appreciate some kind of image management. For example i've a series of "interesting posts of last month" and would like to re-use already uploaded images. Right now i've to upload the same image every time.

• Justin StahlmanJustin Stahlman commented  · 

I understand how media files wouldn't be deleted if you just removed the markdown code, but I'm surprised they are not deleted when you press the trash can icon. It wouldn't be hard to make a tool that scans your blog post and then shows the files that were uploaded to the post, but are not currently being used. Then you could "purge" or delete unused. As Stefan Krauth said, it could also be automatic. It's irritating to know all the versions of a photo I uploaded before I got it right are still uselessly on the server, forever taking up space.

• AndrewAndrew commented  · 

I would be so excited to see:
        List/grid view in admin with the list of available images from storage to allow See/Upload/Group/Delete those.
        There no need to care were the images are used among the blog, its much more simpler to at least display the existing images and upload those in butch.
        And in more advanced implementation just to assign groups/sets to them (like a tags) to allow developers iterate through that groups in their theme files.

• Stefan KrauthStefan Krauth commented  · 

I see editing as a client task. Automatic resizing to the blog width for example would be nice. Cleaning out images that are not used anywhere would also be great (could be automatic). I don't care much about the filenames. I love that the author does not need to care about the image maintenance.

• Laurent SentaLaurent Senta commented  · 

With an "aviary" editor to edit them easily?

Feedback and Knowledge Base