How can we make Ghost better?

Real Custom Homepages

Ghost currently has the ability to create a custom home.hbs, but the page is treated like the first page of the blog. So if you have 10 posts per page, the first 10 would be available on the home page and then page two would be starting with 11. Ghost defends this choice by saying that Ghost is purely a blogging platform, but that isn’t wholly true since they support custom pages.

My want would be to use the upcoming query helper to display the first three posts on the homepage and then a link to view the blog in the navigation, which would start on page one.

266 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    James FinleyJames Finley shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Emil HeinzeEmil Heinze commented  · 

We actually made an entire page with page element contents from blog posts. We simply load the posts based on their slug and inject the content.

Not the most optimal solution but still - far from the worst.

Two things would make Ghost ideal for this: Content "elements" (just like posts - but not posts) and custom fields.

Content "elements" would be very similar to posts, except that they would not appear among posts and wouldn't have a slug of their own (at least not one that would make them accessible at "http://my-page.ghost.io/the-element-slug"). Moreover, accessing a specific post requires you to go through the posts, filtering on the slug, which is somewhat annoying. Elements, on the other hand, should just be fetched in a simple way by their ID.

Custom fields would make it possible for web masters to maintain the page contents from within the Ghost administration without having to mess with the theme. I posted a comment on this (http://ideas.ghost.org/forums/285309-wishlist/suggestions/10937865-add-custom-field-for-a-post).

Do this and I'll secretly start worshipping you and think about you every time I have a cup of coffee in the office.

• Daniel TamkinDaniel Tamkin commented  · 

This is a very legitimate wish here, its a basic feature for almost every other CMS out there. This feature fits under the idea of a "Solely based blogging platform".

• Max RobbinsMax Robbins commented  · 

Bro. Fucking Seriously. Create a off-canvas layout on home.hbs. Then when somebody clicks 'blog' or something you can AJAX in actual blog posts or just 'hide' the homepage and display the blog. Its really not that hard.

Like this

https://github.com/Kikobeats/uno-zen

Can't believe 66 people wasted their votes on this.

Feedback and Knowledge Base