How can we make Ghost better?

Enhanced Author Profiles

1. Full BIO.

The idea is to add a large bio field to the author section in admin, that supports markdown. Essentially a full page of content and perhaps even include additional images like a normal static page. If it's left empty in admin, don't output it on the client side.

2. Author social icons.

Add fields to the user profile screen for as many social networks as possible.

People can then fill in the links to their profiles on each of the networks.

If a link is filled in, then add an anchor to the author page using the Icon of that specific network and the user's profile link..

If the link is not filled in, we simply don't show that networks icon.

For example: Cater for Facebook, twitter, linkedin, google+, GitHub, BitBucket, Flickr, VSCO Cam, Instagram etc.

The author only fills in Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

Then only output the icons(and links) for Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn to their author page.

145 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nathan JefferyNathan Jeffery shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Luen WarnekeLuen Warneke commented  · 

Would love to see an Instagram field.

• John SiuJohn Siu commented  · 

I really wish the profile can either be more customizable or support custom links just like the navigation menu.

Like OP example, I don't use twitter and don't want to link my facebook page to my author profile. However, I want to have my linkedin and G+ profile there. Currently that is not possible.

• JessJess commented  · 

Would it be possible to set the profile to not-indexed in this change too? We have some authors who haven't written anything and their profiles don't need to be indexed, we'll update the robots file for now but would be handy to do this on the author page as well - thanks for reading!

• Sam WallsSam Walls commented  · 

To add to this, I think if you could just add custom fields for authors, which they can (or are possibly required to) when they create their ghost user. And the icing on the cake for this would be if you could use those fields as a part of the handlebars template.

Example: you create a field for your writers "specialties" which you require the author to fill in (they have to before even continuing). In your post.hbs then you could use {{ author.specialties }} and the template system will fill it in.

The system is then very generic, and can not only allow for full bios, social media... but you can create ANY field you want, and use it in ANY way you desire on the blog itself.

• Brett SmithBrett Smith commented  · 

Authors social network links would be a huge plus!

• Clement YuanClement Yuan commented  · 

Just a photo will do. We doesn't require cover picture.

• John SmithJohn Smith commented  · 

3. Actually *use* the cover picture. Currently it's an image that can be set in the admin interface, but it serves absolutely no use on the front website.

Feedback and Knowledge Base