How can we make Ghost better?

Post Analytics

Collect, and display detailed post analytics in Ghost admin to allow users to analyse reader engagement with their content.

596 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John O'NolanJohn O'Nolan shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PrashantPrashant commented  · 

Even if this feature could be as simple as medium stats, this would be one of the biggest additions. Anticipating this as a feature in 1.0

• Cameron HigginsCameron Higgins commented  · 

If you're running your own ghost install its fairly easy to get piwik or open web analytics running on a subdomain, they both are open source and similar to google analytics- but you control your data.

• Warg FranklinWarg Franklin commented  · 

Right now the only thing approaching analytics for ghost is the little graph we can see on ghost.org (for hosted blogs) that is used for billing. (And google analytics I suppose, but I'm not so desperate that want to bother with that.)

We don't need something super advanced that blows everyone away, even a very simple and roughly presented tally of how how many people have read each post would be a massive improvement. Ideally also with when they read it and where they were referred from, but hey I can't ask for everything.

This doesn't have to be completely done before you ship anything at all, but just give us some kind of access to data that is more than what we currently have. Even a raw csv download or something would be better.

The current situation is not heartening, where the Ghost team has been talking about high-minded ideas for years, but has delivered nothing. I'll survive without detailed analytics, but something about 5% as difficult as this proposal would have about 50% of the value for me. If you guys did *something* I'd be much more comfortable recommending ghost to friends.

• Clément CazalotClément Cazalot commented  · 

Having high level analytics independent of Google Analytics would be extremely helpful!

• Anonymous commented  · 

To use google analytics you have to do 3 easy steps:
        1) Enable Code injection
        2)Go to google analytics account (free) and create new tracking code, copy the auto-generated javascript code
        3)Go to code injection panel and paste the google analytics code into the header or footer and you'r good to go

• HadiHadi commented  · 

in Medium.com, the time user spend on the post + the scroll reach will be calculated into 'Reads'

that's a fantastic idea

• MCKLMTMCKLMT commented  · 

Google Analytics can be used.

Feedback and Knowledge Base