How can we make Ghost better?

Add Custom field for a post

Add the possibility to add custom field in post settings.
Example:
Add a custom field "Codepen url"
Then, if you give an url, the post will render it and you can adapt your template styling and design.

159 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    William CastandetWilliam Castandet shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Please support this feature. This is absolutely necessary at so many levels.

• Luen WarnekeLuen Warneke commented  · 

I would like to add a meta robots nofollow noindex to some of the tag pages that only have one article linked. So it would be nice to have another box for this tag.

• Adam TanguayAdam Tanguay commented  · 

Would love a way to add custom HTML in the <head> tag for individual posts. Right now the best application would be for creating custom hreflang tags for different versions of the same post used for different langs and geos

• Anonymous commented  · 

Thant's a extremely useful idea! I really need it !

• Ken JonesKen Jones commented  · 

Great idea! A brief message or something would be useful.

• AndyAndy commented  · 

Allow a sub-title for posts.

• Emil HeinzeEmil Heinze commented  · 

Plus one! Heck, plus a MILLION! :o)

I have an idea for syntax in the Ghost post editor. I'm thinking, if you write something like

{{#my-custom-field}}Hey - this is a custom field! Awesome!{{/my-custom-field}}

in a post, you can then output it using the {{my-custom-field}} helper in a template. The {{content}} helper will still output the entire post - only stripped from any handlebars syntax, of course, and maybe a {{content-stripped}} could output the entire post without the stuff in the custom fields. Nested fields would always yield their entire contents with handlebars syntax removed.

The processer in Ghost would then output multiple HTML snippets for a post: the common "content", the new "content-stripped" and one for each custom field.

• AlexAlex commented  · 

If we can add custom fields to Ghost I'm sold. It's the only thing holding me back from ever using Ghost with a project.

• QuangQuang commented  · 

Totally agree.
        My blog looks very bad at posts list.

• Anonymous commented  · 

imo - the field should fallback to the old behavior if not set. This will make it backwards compatible.

+3!

• DanielDaniel commented  · 

I think it would be really awesome to give us more control of what the text output will be like when we are seeing a list of blog posts.

I propose a "Teaser" text markdown editor field - this could be located e.g. where you set the meta information currently, or another non-obtrusive area.

This is an issue because most of the blogs I've seen, use HTML in their teaser texts, and although this is cut off safely - it still destroys the presentation though, even if it safely cut off.

This field should of course be optional and possibly have a fallback!

• AlexAlex commented  · 

I would REALLY like to have this! If Ghost ever wants to be appealing to other sites than blogs it's a must.

• FennFenn commented  · 

Currently we can edit title and description. It would be nice to have a way of adding any meta we want.

• Antoine BaudrandAntoine Baudrand commented  · 

The ability to add entries in the post settings menu. Theses entries can contains information or settings for the theme.

It can be useful to make different pages layouts.

For example a "youtube featured video" layout (with another entry for the video id)

Feedback and Knowledge Base